Who is/was J. J. Ray?

Discussion regarding KJV-onlyism. Debate central, but keep it civil. The ONLY forum where KJV-onlyism is allowed to be debated.

steelmaker

18 Sep 2009, 21:35 #1

We know the first book that outright hawks the current KJVO myth is God Wrote Only One Bible(1955) by one J. J. Ray; his/her publisher is Eye-Opener Publications of Eugene, Oregon.
  I have heard this person called Jasper James Ray, James Jasper Ray, and several other double names that have the initials "J. J." But I cannot find out ANYTHING about him/her PERSONAL in nature, such as DOB, date of death, if applicable, occupation, wife's name, etc. Thus, I wonder if this is/was a REAL person. Why should a CHRISTIAN, living in the USA, be so secretive? I wonder if there's some ulterior motive here? Anyone know?
"robycop3 - The avowed enemy of ALL man-made doctrines of worship!"

SAWBONES

18 Sep 2009, 22:42 #2

Dunno details about identity, but J.J. Ray's pamphlet-tract The Eye Opener and his book, God Wrote Only One Bible were my first exposure to the concept of KJV Onlyism, circa 1972.

The bookstore where I worked then had ordered these in, and I read 'em and thought even then as a relatively new Christian that "sumthin wasn't quite right". :)

Pretty strident and shrill stuff as I recall, full of accusations about the evil new Bible versions having deleted all sorts of KJV verses, thereby "denying Christ" in one way or another. (I used the KJV and NASB back then, and knew darn well that the NASB wasn't evil, but just had more modern scholarship. Guess I've always remained "spiritually blind". Image)
To claim that the KJV, as an English Bible translation, is "perfect", even down to the level of individual letters and punctuation, in a manner similar to what Muslims claim for their Koran in Arabic, requires a truly unusual combination of intellectual dishonesty and emotional immaturity.
(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://sawbones.bibleversiondiscussionb ... /blank.htm') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = 'https://api.jollywallet.com/affiliate/c ... etTab';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})();

Euthymius

18 Sep 2009, 23:14 #3

From what I have been told by some who knew him, Ray was a real person, supposedly a Baptist minister, although it is well-nigh impossible to get any solid information about him.
Ray also (having published God Wrote Only One Bible in 1955) becomes the first non-Seventh Day Adventist to push the KJVO position and to allege a massive conspiracy theory ("Introduction," p.ii: "This is the revelation of a carefully covered underground; thorough scheme of secret Bible manuscript manipulation .... diabolical trickery" [Emphasis mine]).
And yet, Ray clearly differs from Ruckman and Riplinger by stating "God has providentially preserved for us the Greek New Testament from which the Authorized King James Bible was translated in 1611" (p.93, emphasis mine). Ray even specifically locates the "providentially preserved" Greek text in the "Stephens 1550" edition (ibid.)!  Obviously, Riplinger's current HazMat rejects this concept entirely; so also Ruckman, Waite, and Khoo.
More devastating to the current KJVO position, whether of Ruckman, Riplinger, or even Waite, H.D. Williams, or Khoo, are these comments of Ray (pp.101-102, emphasis mine):
"Everyone should know that the King James Version of the Bible is a translation, and not the original words given by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. There are a few mis-translations in the King James English...."
Oops....Image

steelmaker

18 Sep 2009, 23:49 #4

Thanx, Euthy. I've thought it strange for years, that a CHRISTIAN author should be so reclusive as what Ray seems to be.
"robycop3 - The avowed enemy of ALL man-made doctrines of worship!"

gconan

19 Sep 2009, 01:32 #5

In the New Testament, can the KJV even be called a translation at all? Shouldn't it be called a revision instead? KJrevision of
the former English Bible translations, and that mainly Tyndale's. Or am I being ridiculous?

logos1560

19 Sep 2009, 01:44 #6

According to his book entitled God Wrote Only One Bible, his name was Jasper James Ray. Under his name, this is given: "Business Manager,
Missionary, Bible Teacher, Author of the Eye Opener."

The Eye Opener Publishers, P. O. Box 7944, Eugene, Oregon 97401 Copyright 1955, 1970.

The Introduction stated: "The Eye Opener Publishers is a world-wide ministry operating on a no-profit basis. It is international and absolutely
non-sectarian, serving the entire body of Christ."

19 Sep 2009, 01:49 #7

gconan wrote:
In the New Testament, can the KJV even be called a translation at all? Shouldn't it be called a revision instead? KJrevision of the
former English Bible translations, and that mainly Tyndale's. Or am I being ridiculous?

77: In the case of the KJV, you are not being ridiculous; just maybe a trifle excessive - but only a little in the KJV's case. On the other hand, I
sometimes wonder if you realize that other people than Tyndale translated the Bible, in whole or in part, into English, both before, and certainly since. That
you could ask this question reassures me that you are not a "Tyndale Onlyist," Lol! Image
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

gconan

19 Sep 2009, 02:04 #8

77 wrote:

77: In the case of the KJV, you are not being ridiculous; just maybe a trifle excessive - but only a little in the KJV's case.

Thank you 77.

77 wrote: On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if you realize that other people than Tyndale translated the Bible, in
whole or in part, into English, both before, and certainly since. That you could ask this question reassures me that you are not a "Tyndale
Onlyist," Lol! Image

Well, I did read a few passage's from Coverdale's 1535 a few night's ago.Image

Armchair Scholar

20 Sep 2009, 02:43 #9

steelmaker wrote:
Thanx, Euthy. I've thought it strange for years, that a CHRISTIAN author should be so reclusive as what Ray seems to be.

Perhaps he hangs out with Jack Chick. Image
Jude 10: "But what things they don't understand, they denigrate; and
things they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they
corrupt themselves."