400th Anniversary Edition

General Bible version and history discussion. Version comparisons, questions, etc.
gconan

07 Nov 2010, 04:52 #1

King James Bible: 400th Anniversary Edition (Bible Kjv) [Hardcover]

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

Oxford is proud to announce a limited edition of the 1611 text of the
King James Bible, with real leather binding, gilt edging, ribbon marker,
gift presentation plate, and protective cloth slipcase.
This is
the most authoritative edition of the King James Bible available. The
text of the 1611 edition differs from modern editions of the King James
Version in thousands of details, and this edition is the most authentic
version of the original text that has ever been published. It follows
the 1611 text page-for-page and line-for-line, reproducing all misprints
rather than correcting them. The volume also reprints the large body of
preliminary matter, which includes genealogies, maps, and lists of
readings, as well as the translator's preface to the reader. The text
features an easy-to-read modern font instead of the black-letter type of
the original, with the exception of the original decorative letters and
early page ornaments, which have been reproduced. The volume concludes
with an essay by Renaissance Studies expert, Gordon Campbell, on the
first edition of the King James Bible.
The four hundredth
anniversary of the publication of the King James Bible will be a major
event, with celebrations held all over the world. This beautiful
Anniversary Edition will make an elegant keepsake with which to remember
this event as well as a marvelous gift for anyone interested in the
Bible.

About the Author

Gordon Campbell is Professor of Renaissance Studies, Department of English at the University of Leicester

Product Dimensions:

11.3 x 9.1 x 2.4 inches

amarillo

07 Nov 2010, 15:05 #2

gconan wrote:King James Bible: 400th Anniversary Edition (Bible Kjv) [Hardcover]

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

Oxford is proud to announce a limited edition of the 1611 text of the
King James Bible, with real leather binding, gilt edging, ribbon marker,
gift presentation plate, and protective cloth slipcase.
This is
the most authoritative edition of the King James Bible available. The
text of the 1611 edition differs from modern editions of the King James
Version in thousands of details, and this edition is the most authentic
version of the original text that has ever been published. It follows
the 1611 text page-for-page and line-for-line, reproducing all misprints
rather than correcting them. The volume also reprints the large body of
preliminary matter, which includes genealogies, maps, and lists of
readings, as well as the translator's preface to the reader. The text
features an easy-to-read modern font instead of the black-letter type of
the original, with the exception of the original decorative letters and
early page ornaments, which have been reproduced. The volume concludes
with an essay by Renaissance Studies expert, Gordon Campbell, on the
first edition of the King James Bible.
The four hundredth
anniversary of the publication of the King James Bible will be a major
event, with celebrations held all over the world. This beautiful
Anniversary Edition will make an elegant keepsake with which to remember
this event as well as a marvelous gift for anyone interested in the
Bible.

About the Author

Gordon Campbell is Professor of Renaissance Studies, Department of English at the University of Leicester

Product Dimensions:

11.3 x 9.1 x 2.4 inches
let's see how many anti-copyrightists come by and shout kashink kashink at this! ;)
"For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."
Ps 119:89 KJB

BobinKy

08 Nov 2010, 01:23 #3

Here is a video of Gordon Campbell talking about the Oxford 1611 KJV.

...Bob

Armchair Scholar

08 Nov 2010, 04:39 #4

"let's see how many anti-copyrightists come by and shout kashink kashink at this!"

My thoughts, exactly!
PS: I would not be surprised if GAR were to offer in her AV Pub catalog.
Jude 10: "But what things they don't understand, they denigrate; and
things they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they
corrupt themselves."

logos1560

13 Dec 2010, 02:45 #5

gconan wrote:

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
Oxford is proud to announce a limited edition of the 1611 text of the King James Bible, with real leather binding, gilt edging, ribbon marker, gift presentation plate, and protective cloth slipcase.
This is the most authoritative edition of the King James Bible available. The text of the 1611 edition differs from modern editions of the King James Version in thousands of details, and this edition is the most authentic version of the original text that has ever been published. It follows the 1611 text page-for-page and line-for-line, reproducing all misprints rather than correcting them. The volume also reprints the large body of preliminary matter, which includes genealogies, maps, and lists of readings, as well as the translator's preface to the reader. The text features an easy-to-read modern font instead of the black-letter type of the original, with the exception of the original decorative letters and early page ornaments, which have been reproduced. The volume concludes with an essay by Renaissance Studies expert, Gordon Campbell, on the first edition of the King James Bible.
I ordered a copy of this edition and have received it.  This edition could be consider better and more authentic than the small 1611 reprints by Thomas Nelson and Henrickson.  However, I do not see how it could be considered more authentic the digital reproduction 1611 edition printed by Greyden Press that is in the original Gothic type and includes all the above [except the new essay by Gordon Campbell].

gconan

14 Dec 2010, 00:30 #6

logos1560 wrote: I ordered a copy of this edition and have received it.  This edition could be consider better and more authentic than the small 1611 reprints by Thomas Nelson and Henrickson.  However, I do not see how it could be considered more authentic the digital reproduction 1611 edition printed by Greyden Press that is in the original Gothic type and includes all the above [except the new essay by Gordon Campbell].

Agreed!  And congratulations!

Knownothing

02 Sep 2011, 02:04 #7

I've had the "regular" reduced-size 1611 KJV edition from greatsite for several years now - it's still quite large at 11" height and weighs 10 lbs, so it's not a carry-around bible. It is a facsimile of the original, with gothic type and all the 'cool' genealogy art-charts, and of course all the letter from the translators and so forth. I can read it without difficulty, with the exception of some OT passages which contain several less familiar names of peoples or cities - that can sometimes slow me down a bit. I sometimes read aloud from it to my wife (she's not a big reader, but enjoys listening to me read Dickens, Shakespeare, the bible, etc.) with few or no stumbles along the way.

The question naturally arises, "What's the point?" for many folks. There are several, such as the novelty of it (novelty in a KJV?), it is interesting to look at, it is oddly reassuring to see that we can still understand a bible printed 400 years ago, learning to read the gothic print is both fun and interesting, and adds a flavor of antiquity for those of us who read no ancient languages, but , finally, as familiarity grows, it simply becomes another way to enjoy God's word. Plus, there is always the chance of a 1611 KJVOist popping in, and I could show him one.

I assume the folks at this site are familiar with greatsite.com, but for those who may not have run into them, they also sell real, original ancient bibles that run from the thousands to the millions of dollars...an interesting site to visit. I bought my "regular" facsimile 1611 KJV when they were $250 and included a leaf from a real 1611. Now they are $179, not sure about leaf. I have no connection whatsoever to their site or their business, and suspect that most, if not all of you are aware of them anyway.

Also, I'm curious about how many of you use eSword, a great study tool that you can download for free (some pay options available). I've been using it for years and have found their software updates worthwhile; I only got the freebies, but that includes a lot - many different versions of the bible (ESV being the most modern of the free), commentaries, dictionaries, atlases, illustrations, concordances Strong's with numbers, topical notes, user journaling and user study notes, and an intuitive layout. If you don't have it, look into it. Okay, so that's old news for everybody, but if it helps any passersby who want a lot of bible aids for free with a click of the mouse, then good, downloading is easy and well worth your time.
Last edited by Knownothing on 02 Sep 2011, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
"

When a teenager, I knew everything, but the older I become and the more I learn the more I realize that, given the grand scope of universal knowledge, I know nothing."  -
  Knownothing